Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dirty Marquee - Self-titled 7"

   I kept seeing Dirty Marquee play when I moved back to Northern California in 2009. I liked them more each time I saw them, which had a bit to do with the fact that they kept getting better each time I saw them. Tony and Gaylen told me that they had recorded some material, and directed me to it online. I thought that the songs were great. I offered to do a 7", and this here record finally materialized in 2011 after about six months of various struggles.
   I have never been quite sure how to describe Dirty Marquee. Though I would consider them pop punk, I have always been a bit hesitant to tag 'em with that because the connotations that label has with all the Ramones clones and whatnot. They are more pop insofar as they have melody, but they are still rough around the edges. Lyrically, I think my friend Daryl put it best when he said the songs were from the "street-level perspective of a crumbling society." Tony says that some of the songs he scribed are just fast country songs. I think that they are closer to power pop than country, but you can make the call for yourself.

Download the Dirty Marquee 7"

Buy the 7"

No comments:

Post a Comment